Sarah Mae (SMae) |
I was inspired by a reader to try making my own version of this Greek favourite.
It is quite a few steps but SO WORTH IT!
✅ Olive oil for drizzling
✅ 1 med Egg Plant, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
✅ Sea Salt
✅ 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
✅ 500g Grass Fed Ground Beef
✅ 1 med White Onion, chopped
✅ 2 fresh Vine Tomatoes, chopped
✅ 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
✅ 1/4 cup Water
✅ 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
✅ 2 tsp Cinnamon
✅ 1 tsp Oregano
✅ 1 tsp Paprika
✅ Sea Salt to taste
✅ 1 med Celeriac (Celery Root), peeled and diced into 1in cubes.
✅ 1 cup Coconut Cream (try to avoid the liquid in the can)
✅ 1/4 cup Water
✅ 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
✅ 1 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
✅ 1 clove of Garlic, minced
✅ 1 tsp Sea Salt
1. Heat oven to 400F
2. Coat eggplant in olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
3. Bake in a single layer on a lined baking sheet for 30min, flipping halfway through. Set aside.
4. Fill a med pot with 3in of water and fit with steamer basket, bring to a boil.
5. Add cubed celeriac and steam for 10-15min until fork tender. Set aside.
𝗠𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴:
6. Heat olive oil in a large pan over med heat.
7. Add onion and garlic, cooking until translucent.
8. Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
9. Add the spices, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, and water. Cook until water evaporates and tomatoes are cooked through.
10. Add salt to taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
𝗠𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗕é𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗺𝗲𝗹 𝗦𝗮𝘂𝗰𝗲:
11. In a small bowl, add the water and arrowroot powder. Stir until combined.
12. Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
13. Adjust seasoning as required.
14. Layer half of the eggplant on the bottom of a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Cover eggplant with half of the meat filling, spreading it evenly. Next layer the remaining eggplant, followed by the remaining filling. Pour the béchamel sauce over the top and smooth the surface.
15. Bake in pre-heated oven for 30min.
Cheers to Wild Health! 💚
Feeling overwhelmed and low on energy? Schedule a FREE coaching call!